Office of Public Guardian - OPG
Office of Public Guardian


Below is a list of agencies and programs through which legal advice and legal representation on guardianship
and conservatorship may be obtained. Please note that some agencies and attorneys only represent certain
parties in guardianship proceedings. Possible parties include:

    • “Petitioner” — person filing to be appointed guardian of an allegedly incapacitated person
    • “Proposed protected persons” — person alleged to be incapacitated and in need of a guardian
    • “Ward” — person found to be incapacitated and appointed a guardian

Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake
205 North 400 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84103-1125
801/ 328-8849

The Legal Aid Society of Salt Lake is non-profit organization that promotes safety, stability, and self sufficiency
to low-income families and individuals, as well as victims of domestic violence, through effective, efficient
legal advocacy and assistance.

Services: Representation of proposed protected persons and protected persons wanting to contest proposed or existing guardianships.

Eligibility: Legal Aid Society maintains a Guardianship program wherein Legal Aid Society will represent
the proposed protected persons when the State of Utah’s, Office of Public Guardian files a guardianship petition against
an incapacitated person and the protected persons does not have the resources to obtain council.

Fee: Please call or visit website

Utah Legal Services, Inc
205 North 400 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84103
801/ 328-8891
800/ 662-4245 (toll free)

Utah Legal Services (ULS) provides legal services to low-income persons throughout Utah on matters of
civil law including guardianship.

Services: ULS may assist proposed protected persons and protected persons who want to contest a proposed or existing guardianship.

Eligibility: Services in guardianship matters are provided in most counties of Utah to persons age 60 years
or older irrespective of income.

Fee: Please call or visit website

Lawyer Referral Service of the Utah State Bar
801/531-9077 or 800/698-9077
Provides names of private attorneys who handle cases for a fee.

Direct link to guardianship and conservatorship information:

Links To Legal Resources